Watch: Sidmouth Fire Station drill turns into call out
- Credit: Archant
A fire drill turned into a call-out after a vehicle caught fire outside a shop in Sidmouth.
Sidmouth Fire Station sent its light rescue pump to High Street to put out the small fire.
The firefighters found a diesel van had its accelerator stuck on causing it and a nearby shop to be filled with diesel fumes.
Kieran Wilkes shared a video of the crew in action on Monday (October 7), which has been viewed more than 2,000 times.
A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the fumes.
You may also want to watch:
A fire service spokesman said: "On arrival the crew saw the vehicle and the fumes and while they were setting up safety systems the fuel in the van ran out.
"Unfortunately due to the location of the vehicle one of the High Street store was filled with diesel fumes so the incident commander sent up for our first appliance that carries a positive pressure ventilation fan.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 4 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
"Diesel fumes while very unpleasant carry a lower amount of carbon monoxide than a petrol engine."