Fire crews tackle Newton Poppleford garage fire

PUBLISHED: 10:23 29 July 2017 | UPDATED: 10:31 29 July 2017

Firefighters on scene at Little Down Orchard, Newton Poppleford

Firefighters on scene at Little Down Orchard, Newton Poppleford

Archant

Firefighters were on scene until the afternoon following a garage fire in Little Down Orchard, Newton Poppleford, yesterday.

Crews were called shortly before 11.30am and battled it throughout the afternoon. Shortly after 4.45pm the operation was scaled down to two relief engines.

Firefighters from across Devon battled for more than five hours to tackle a garage fire in Newton Poppleford.

Crews were called to Little Down Orchard shortly before 11.30am yesterday (Friday) where a fire broke out and spread to an adjoining bungalow.

The roof of the home was completely destroyed. Neighbours were evacuated to safety as the crews tackled the fire.

A Devon and Somerset Fire Service spokesman said: “The fire originated in adjacent garage spread to roof space of bungalow, 85 per cent of property damaged by fire and 100 per cent of remaining property damaged by smoke and water.

“Adjacent property slightly damaged by fire, mainly to fascia boards, garage attached to this adjacent property 100 per cent damaged by fire, attached property 60 per cent damaged by smoke, small amount of fire damage to the conservatory and roof of this property.” Crews tackling the blaze contained the fire to the garage and bungalow, preventing it from spreading to any further homes.

The fire service sent two engines from Sidmouth and added an additional crew from Exmouth following a numbers of calls about the fire.

The incident commander on the scene requested a further two engines from Ottery St Mary and Budleigh Salterton and an aerial ladder platform.

Station manager Ian Bartlett, incident command officer, said homes were evacuated either side, and to the rear, of the blaze.

He said there had been some ‘scorching’ to a neighbouring garage, and praised crews for containing the fire so quickly

He said: “We placed people with neighbours who gave them a cup of tea to stop shock setting in.

“Crews pulled out all the stops and worked really hard to prevent it from spreading and affecting another family.

“I would like to remind people about the importance of smoke alarms, to form an escape plan, and don’t overload plug sockets.”

Firefighters set to work using four breathing apparatus sets, two hose reel jets, one safety jet and a thermal imaging camera.

The fire continued to burn into the afternoon and more crews and apparatus were required.

The road was cordoned off to the public while crews fought the blaze and removed roof tiles, checking cavities to ensure the fire was completely extinguished.

Shortly after 4.45pm the operation was scaled down to two relief engines from Middlemoor and Axminster.

Related articles;

Newton Poppleford fire: Photos and Video

Garage fire near Sidmouth: blaze has spread to neighbouring property


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald