Fire crews tackle Newton Poppleford garage fire
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were on scene until the afternoon following a garage fire in Little Down Orchard, Newton Poppleford, yesterday. Crews were called shortly before 11.30am and battled it throughout the afternoon. Shortly after 4.45pm the operation was scaled down to two relief engines.
Firefighters from across Devon battled for more than five hours to tackle a garage fire in Newton Poppleford.
Crews were called to Little Down Orchard shortly before 11.30am yesterday (Friday) where a fire broke out and spread to an adjoining bungalow.
The roof of the home was completely destroyed. Neighbours were evacuated to safety as the crews tackled the fire.
A Devon and Somerset Fire Service spokesman said: “The fire originated in adjacent garage spread to roof space of bungalow, 85 per cent of property damaged by fire and 100 per cent of remaining property damaged by smoke and water.
You may also want to watch:
“Adjacent property slightly damaged by fire, mainly to fascia boards, garage attached to this adjacent property 100 per cent damaged by fire, attached property 60 per cent damaged by smoke, small amount of fire damage to the conservatory and roof of this property.” Crews tackling the blaze contained the fire to the garage and bungalow, preventing it from spreading to any further homes.
The fire service sent two engines from Sidmouth and added an additional crew from Exmouth following a numbers of calls about the fire.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 9 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
The incident commander on the scene requested a further two engines from Ottery St Mary and Budleigh Salterton and an aerial ladder platform.
Station manager Ian Bartlett, incident command officer, said homes were evacuated either side, and to the rear, of the blaze.
He said there had been some ‘scorching’ to a neighbouring garage, and praised crews for containing the fire so quickly
He said: “We placed people with neighbours who gave them a cup of tea to stop shock setting in.
“Crews pulled out all the stops and worked really hard to prevent it from spreading and affecting another family.
“I would like to remind people about the importance of smoke alarms, to form an escape plan, and don’t overload plug sockets.”
Firefighters set to work using four breathing apparatus sets, two hose reel jets, one safety jet and a thermal imaging camera.
The fire continued to burn into the afternoon and more crews and apparatus were required.
The road was cordoned off to the public while crews fought the blaze and removed roof tiles, checking cavities to ensure the fire was completely extinguished.
Shortly after 4.45pm the operation was scaled down to two relief engines from Middlemoor and Axminster.