Fire near Newton Pop school

PUBLISHED: 16:28 12 February 2009 | UPDATED: 16:46 14 April 2010

FIREFIGHTERS were called to an electric cable blaze next to Newton Poppleford Primary School on Wednesday. The mains electricity cables attached to a wooden pole caught fire at School Lane at around 1.45pm. Children were evacuated from the school as a

FIREFIGHTERS were called to an electric cable blaze next to Newton Poppleford Primary School on Wednesday.

The mains electricity cables attached to a wooden pole caught fire at School Lane at around 1.45pm.

Children were evacuated from the school as a precaution after the fire alarm was set off by the power failure.

Police closed the road for a short amount of time and also cordoned off the pavement.

Western Power was called to deal with the incident and workmen repaired the cables throughout the afternoon and evening.

Two people's power supply was cut off while repairs took place.

A Western Power spokesperson confirmed there was a "small fire" and said it was "probably due to the bad weather" and is a case of "wear and tear".


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald