Fears for elderly occupant in Sidmouth flat fire
- Credit: Archant
Fears that an elderly person was trapped in a burning flat at Sidmouth saw firefighters from three towns called to the scene yesterday (Sunday, March 22).
Crews from Sidmouth, Ottery St Mary and Exmouth were initially mobilised following a call from a neighbour reporting smoke coming from a flat in Manor Road, where it was believed the elderly occupant was home and unable to evacuate.
However, within minutes of the crew from Sidmouth arriving at around 10.30am and investigating they were able to confirm that whilst there was a small fire, caused by an unattended pan left on the cooker, the occupant was not home.
As a result crews from Ottery St Mary and Exmouth were returned en route as their services were not required.
Forced entry was made to the flat to isolate the pan and extinguish the fire, before firefighters made the scene safe and ventilated the property.
You may also want to watch:
The fire and damage was confined to the pan and cooker only, and there were no casualties.
After returning home the occupant was given fire safety advice.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend