Fireman in Great Wall trek hope
A SIDMOUTH sports centre manager will be trekking the Great Wall of China to raise money for the fire service. Andy Mackie, 31, assistant manager at Sidmouth Sports Centre and Swimming Pool and retained firefighter, will take part in the 10 day challeng
A SIDMOUTH sports centre manager will be trekking the Great Wall of China to raise money for the fire service.
Andy Mackie, 31, assistant manager at Sidmouth Sports Centre and Swimming Pool and retained firefighter, will take part in the 10 day challenge to raise money for injured firefighters and their families..
Andy, of Buttercup Close, Seaton, said the charity is very close to his heart.
He said: "This is something I wanted to do and I received an e-mail inviting me to do it for the service and I thought what better time?
You may also want to watch:
"Few people have done it and those who have said it's really hard work - with between six and eight hours trekking a day. There is a lot of loose terrain and unstable parts. But it's for a worthy cause and I may need use of them one day."
The registered charity assists over 11,000 individuals every year by providing treatment and support services. It costs over £9 million every year to keep the charity running, and with no government funding they are reliant on donations from the public. For more information visit www.firefighterscharity.org.uk .
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 9 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
Andy needs to raise £2,500. He has already paid £300 towards costs himself. To sponsor Andy, visit www.justgiving.com/andymackie.
*A sponsored slim is being held at Sidmouth Sports Centre and Swimming Pool to raise money for the charity. People are invited to take part with instruction offered free of charge. Participants will meet once a week for an informal chat about nutrition, diet and exercise and will be prescribed exercises to help them achieve their goal and keep motivated.
The six week course starts December 29. For more information contact Nicky at the centre on 01395 577679 or Andy on 01395 577117.