Flood misery for Ottery’s twin town
Chain of events are uncannily similar to those in Ottery in 2008
RESIDENTS of Ottery’s twin town in Germany have vowed to visit their friends in East Devon despite being hit by flood chaos.
Ilsfeld suffered devastation after a freak hailstorm saw homes, cellars and gardens swamped in water - a chain of events uncannily similar to those that stuck Ottery in October 2008
Town Twinning Association members say their German pals had no choice to delay a planned visit, but friendships will be renewed when they jet in for a weekend on September 1.
“Many pictures have been seen of the devastation caused to house cellars and gardens of some of those expected in Ottery,” said Twinner Keith Spittlehouse.
You may also want to watch:
Planned activities for the visit include a boat cruise from Exmouth and a civic dinner at Otter Nurseries. Ottery twinners will support the first flower festival at West Hill’s church in 25 years next month and will stage a service, part in German, in Ottery Parish Church on Sunday, September 4.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution