Floral Fred fund boosted by Sidmouth Herald cheque
Fred the peacock seems to have a bright future this week after nearly half the money needed to secure his place at Blackmore Gardens has been raised.
FRED the peacock seems to have a bright future this week after nearly half the money needed to plant him up at his Blackmore Gardens flower bed has been raised.
On Monday, Sidmouth Herald news editor Di Bowerman added to the coffers by presenting Joy Seward, president of Sidmouth in Bloom, with a �50 cheque, bringing the total given so far to �1,000.
“I think this is absolutely fantastic because you have supported so many things,” said Joy. “We are grateful for the amount of publicity you have given us and this is an added bonus because it means we are half-way there.”
She is thrilled with the amount of support for the Herald’s campaign to reinstate Fred for 2011 after he was axed from the Town Council’s budget for floral displays to help prevent a rise in council tax.
You may also want to watch:
As well as receiving cheques from Fred fans around the country, Joy has been given three greetings cards (pictured) produced by artist Pat Hague, from an original watercolour she produced some time ago.
She hopes Joy can sell the cards to help fund Fred’s blooms and Joy is keen to hear from anyone offering bids over �2.50 for the cards before the end of March.
- 1 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
- 2 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 3 Sidmouth supermarket helps out children living in poverty
- 4 Sidmouth Toy & Model Museum is a hit with Toto
- 5 Top books to inspire children to love nature this summer
- 6 Cricket ground will be transformed into festival car park
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 9 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 10 Property of Week: North Street, Ottery St Mary
This year Sidmouth celebrates its 40th anniversary competing in Britain in Bloom competitions and Joy is keeping a scrapbook of all the letters and cards of support she has received for Fred, which she will show judges from South West in Bloom later this summer.
*You can donate towards saving Fred by sending cheques made to Sidmouth in Bloom to Joy Seward, Southgate, Knowle Drive, Sidmouth, EX10 8HW. Bids for the cards should also be sent to Joy.