Food bank benefits from sold-out Sidholme concert
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of a sell-out performance held in aid of a Sidmouth charity have thanked everyone who helped the event raise £1,000.
The ‘Songbird’ concert by Sidmouth-based singer Vicki Campbell and pianist Oskar Hammond took place at the Sidholme Hotel to benefit the Sid Valley Food Bank.
The charity provides a week’s worth of emergency provisions to individuals and families who cannot afford to buy food.
Vicki said: “I don’t think that a lot of people realise that in this affluent town there are people who need to come and use the food bank.
“We’re really happy with the total.
You may also want to watch:
“To get to sing and raise money and awareness for this very worthwhile charity is just a win-win for me.”
The event was hosted with the help of the Lions Club of Sidmmouth, with member Chris Rignall tasked with the responsibility for much of the organisation.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 4 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 5 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 6 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 7 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 8 East Devon affordable housing task force
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
Chris said there were concerns when only 60 tickets had been sold for the event on September 16.
But concern turned to relief as the concert room quickly filled with people who bought tickets on the night.
Chris said: “We had a full house in the end – we actually got to the point where we had to turn people away!”
Accepting the cash on behalf of the charity, Lions president and food bank trustee Ian Skinner said: “It really helps when we get donations like this. It will be very well used by the food bank.
“I sincerely thank Vicki and Oskar for their brilliant performance, and Chris for doing all the organising.”