Football club nets £20,000 for ambitious HQ upgrade
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town AFC is preparing to move forward with ambitious upgrades to its clubhouse after scoring a £20,000 grant.
The cash, from the Sid Vale Association’s (SVA) Keith Owen Fund, will help pay for improvements to the club’s HQ at Manstone Recreation Ground - including extra storage space and gym facilities for players returning to fitness.
The clubhouse serves as a hub for the town’s three senior teams, 200 junior players and some 300 social members.
Andy Argyle, the club’s development officer, said: “The club has a tradition of funding itself, but on this occasion, because it is quite an ambitious project, we decided to apply to the Keith Owen Fund – and thankfully for us they said they would help.
“It really is a tremendous advantage that local organisations have the Keith Owen Fund to apply to.”
You may also want to watch:
The club has already secured planning permission for the extension work - and it is hoped the scheme will be completed within two years.
But Andy added that although the £20,000 will help cover the cost of the materials, members would need to pitch-in to make the project a reality.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 The more we work together the better it will be
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Property of the Week: Ridgeway in Ottery St Mary
He said: “The grant will pay for the bricks and mortar, but some of the general building work, we are hoping our members will come together and help us.”
Presenting the club with the money this week, Liz Warren, SVA secretary, said: “The SVA is pleased to support the club in covering much of the cost of materials for this much-needed extension.
“Many in the community will continue to benefit from the improvements to recreational facilities provided at Sidmouth Town AFC.”
Other voluntary and not-for-profit groups can apply for similar grants at www.sidvaleassociation.org.uk