Footbridge fix at Sidmouth ford ‘an accident waiting to happen’
- Credit: Archant
A temporary fix on a damaged footbridge has been slammed as a ‘bodged job’.
Jonathan Bradnock, known around the town as ‘The Barefoot Gardener’, says he reported a hole on the footbridge at the ford months ago.
The Council carried out a repair but that soon became damaged. Now another temporary fix has been carried out.
“I think it’s terrible,” Mr Bradnock said. “It’s a bodged job. It’s not even flat. An elderly person may not see that and fall straight over. It’s an accident waiting to happen.”
Councillor Stuart Hughes, responsible for Highways at Devon County Council, said: “Soon after the damage was reported, we made the bridge safe. Unfortunately because the ford is closed due to high water levels we have been unable to carry out a full inspection.
You may also want to watch:
“We will make carry out a permanent repair at the earliest opportunity. While the permanent repair is being carried out we may need to close the bridge.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 5 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 6 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead