Former Ottery pupil earns place at top art exhibitions
- Credit: Archant
A former pupil at The King’s School has impressed the country’s top artists to earn a place at two top art exhibitions.
Will Copley, 18, has been selected to display his piece Laura at the Rising Stars Exhibition in February and then at the Royal Society of British Artists (RBA) annual show in March.
His portrait was chosen by the RBA council, which narrowed the selection down from 284 works sent in from 73 schools.
Will, who lives near Exeter, said: “Art is a subject I have always thrived in, however it was not until A-levels that I began to seriously consider a career as a professional artist.
“When I initially found out about the success of my work, I was happy to say the least. It’s nice to be rewarded for the amount of time I have dedicated to my art, and my portraits specifically.
You may also want to watch:
“The award itself has strongly aided my portfolio, as well as my business as an artist, providing a plentiful flow of commissions which I am currently accepting.”
Will, who achieved an A* at A-level and is now studying at the Exeter School of Art, is applying to study fine art at university.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 3 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 8 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
Claire Swallow, in charge of art at The King’s School, said: “Will has always been a keen artist and had a very individual style at GCSE painting landscapes and turning to portraiture in Year 12 AS Level.
“Will has been hugely influenced by great masters work but also by the BP Portrait awards at the National Portrait Gallery. His portraits are very expressive and capture character well.”