Former players help net Ottery ladies’ side new tops
- Credit: Archant
Members of Ottery St Mary AFC’s ladies’ team are sporting new pink warm-up tops thanks to a £268 donation from former players.
The club resurrected the side for the 2016/17 season, after several years without one, when Mike Ringer became chairman in the summer. Sharon Jenkins, who used to play for the club, heard the news and had an idea to give the female footballers a boost.
Mike, who manages the side with assistant Caroline Thornton, said: “With no funding, the team has been built on the back of the men’s side - borrowing kit and equipment from them to the point they didn’t have many of the essentials needed to ensure they were match-prepared. Sharon heard of the new side and approached us to say the club had a social ladies’ team some years ago - and there was still funds sitting in a bank account. Sharon went through form-filling to get the funds released.
“The decision was made that this would go towards the new ladies’ team and a set of warm-up tops. The girls chose the colour and the design.”
Sharon and fellow former player Rachel Hollox visited the club to present the warm-up tops.
You may also want to watch:
“We cannot thank them enough for this donation and look forward to their continued support as these girls grow into a successful squad,” added Mike.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 8 Sidmouth music man raises thousands-of-pounds for cancer charity
- 9 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites