Former Sidmouth College student councillor at 19
Youngest town councillor in Budleigh Salterton’s history is former Sidmouth College student.
THE youngest town councillor in Budleigh Salterton’s history is a former Sidmouth College student.
Mike Hilliar, 19, who works for an Exmouth insurance company, has hit the ground running in his new role, having already been selected to sit on the public hall and planning committees.
Following his first meeting this week, he had nothing but praise for his fellow councillors.
He said: “They have all made me feel very welcome and part of the council.
You may also want to watch:
“Chris Kitson has taken me under his wing and has given me lots of advice, while the new mayor, Councillor Dick Mitchell, and the former mayor, Tom Wright, have both been very supportive.”
He said his motivations for standing were not political - although he admitted to an interest in current affairs – but were instead driven by wanting to help the town and to give younger residents a voice.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 6 Month of the dead is a time to remember loved ones
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
“I have lived in Budleigh for 19 years and want to do my best for the town,” said Mike.
Mike said he was interested in planning and backs the need for more affordable housing.
Town clerk Jo Vanstone said: “I think it’s fantastic that we have new blood like Mike sitting on the council. I think it’s important to get a different perspective.
“Sometimes the council will discuss things about what the town needs and Mike will be in a position to say what young people need.”