Former Sidmouth College student to become Corrie’s new crumpet
- Credit: Archant
Actor Oliver Farnworth is likely to set hearts racing as he prepares to tread the cobbles on Coronation Street
A former Sidmouth College pupil looks set to cause a stir as he lands a spot on Coronation Street.
Oliver Farnworth, who starred in many a Sidmouth production, will take on the role of Les Dennis’s character, Michael Rodwell’s son, Gavin, in the soap.
Show bosses have hinted the arrival of the handsome Gavin will put a ‘cat amongst the pigeons,’ as he makes his mark on the street and sets hearts racing.
“Sexy, confident, engaging and yet still with edge and depth, Oliver, as an actor, has got it all and I can’t wait to see Gavin light up our screens,” said producer Stuart Blackburn.
You may also want to watch:
The West Yorkshire born actor attended Sidmouth College from the age of 15, taking theatre studies at A-level.
He went on to study drama at Brunel University before completing his training with the renowned Bristol Old Vic Theatre School.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 6 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
“I’m absolutely delighted to be joining the cast of Coronation Street,” Oliver said.
“To be given the opportunity to work on such an iconic, popular TV show is a dream.
“I can’t wait to tread the cobbles.”
Oliver performed in Sidmouth Youth Theatre productions at the Manor Pavilion, taking on challenging parts in Showtime and Titanic, and perhaps most notably, the leading role of Scrooge in the in the Leslie Bricusse musical of the same name in 2000.
Angela Davies, head of drama and director of Sidmouth Youth Theatre, remembers Oliver arriving at the college with a distinct northern accent and displaying a natural talent for acting from the start.
“He was the most unassuming young man who, at that time, had no comprehension with regard to his potential,” said Miss Davies.
“He was a delight to work with and an excellent role model for other younger students. He had an excellent singing voice and a natural musicality. An intelligent developing actor who was destined to be successful.”
Oliver has had consistent work and is probably best known for playing the sinister role of Will Hackett in Hollyoaks, or as Belgian refugee Florian Dupont in the TV series Mr Selfridge.