Former Sidmouth resident to celebrate 112th birthday, as oldest person in UK
- Credit: Archant
A former Sidmouth resident who is now the oldest person in the UK is set to celebrate her 112th birthday next week.
Apart from being a bit hard of hearing, Grace Jones is still ‘very quick’ and looking forward to opening another card from the Queen on her birthday next Sunday (September 16).
Her daughter, Deirdre McCarthy, said: “She has a wonderful sense of humour.
“She is very quick, she comes out with some of the funniest things. She is 100 per cent on the ball.
“She talks about Sidmouth so much. It has a special place in her heart.
You may also want to watch:
“She was always in the Victoria Hotel.”
Deirdre said her mum’s secret to a long and happy life was a little tot of whisky every day – something she has done for 58 years!
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 6 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
She added: “She also never worries and always has home-cooked meals.”
After 12 years in Old Hayes, Grace moved to the Cotswolds to be near Deirdre.
To celebrate her 112th birthday, Grace will be taking a trip to Buckland Manor in the Cotswolds for an afternoon tea party.