Free car parking will boost Ottery
Local businesses believe the introduction of free parking in Ottery will provide a big boost for the town.
The car park on Hind St is now free for two hours having been taken over by Sainsbury’s from East Devon District Council.
And Viv Abbott, a former chair of Ottery Chamber of Commerce, thinks this can help build confidence in the town and its economy.
She said: “I have been campaigning very hard for this for a number of years. The roadworks on the road between Ottery and Sidmouth affected our trade quite badly but the introduction of free parking just as visitors to the town start to arrive is great news.”
Viv, who works at family-run business Abbott’s DIY on Jesu St, thinks there are plenty of people out there who will now be attracted to Ottery’s specialist shops by the free parking.
Sainsbury’s took responsibility for Hind St car park last month, and removed the pay and display machines employed by EDDC.
The existing spaces will eventually form part of the new supermarket’s much larger car park when the store is completed this autumn.
- 1 UPDATE: Man dies after A3052 accident
- 2 Chiefs' rebranding dignifies the club and city
- 3 Do you have a crocodile bush near you?
- 4 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 5 Simply having a wonderful Christmas time in Sidmouth
- 6 Join fellow freelancers and homeworkers at Sidmouth's ‘Jelly' sessions
- 7 Three injured in Sidmouth road accident
- 8 From Sidmouth with solidarity: amnesty group writes to overseas political prisoners
- 9 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth