Free car parking will boost Ottery
Local businesses believe the introduction of free parking in Ottery will provide a big boost for the town.
The car park on Hind St is now free for two hours having been taken over by Sainsbury’s from East Devon District Council.
And Viv Abbott, a former chair of Ottery Chamber of Commerce, thinks this can help build confidence in the town and its economy.
She said: “I have been campaigning very hard for this for a number of years. The roadworks on the road between Ottery and Sidmouth affected our trade quite badly but the introduction of free parking just as visitors to the town start to arrive is great news.”
Viv, who works at family-run business Abbott’s DIY on Jesu St, thinks there are plenty of people out there who will now be attracted to Ottery’s specialist shops by the free parking.
You may also want to watch:
Sainsbury’s took responsibility for Hind St car park last month, and removed the pay and display machines employed by EDDC.
The existing spaces will eventually form part of the new supermarket’s much larger car park when the store is completed this autumn.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open