Free car parking will boost Ottery
Local businesses believe the introduction of free parking in Ottery will provide a big boost for the town.
The car park on Hind St is now free for two hours having been taken over by Sainsbury’s from East Devon District Council.
And Viv Abbott, a former chair of Ottery Chamber of Commerce, thinks this can help build confidence in the town and its economy.
She said: “I have been campaigning very hard for this for a number of years. The roadworks on the road between Ottery and Sidmouth affected our trade quite badly but the introduction of free parking just as visitors to the town start to arrive is great news.”
Viv, who works at family-run business Abbott’s DIY on Jesu St, thinks there are plenty of people out there who will now be attracted to Ottery’s specialist shops by the free parking.
You may also want to watch:
Sainsbury’s took responsibility for Hind St car park last month, and removed the pay and display machines employed by EDDC.
The existing spaces will eventually form part of the new supermarket’s much larger car park when the store is completed this autumn.
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 Fancy a pint? Help support the survival of your local
- 3 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
- 4 Festival benefits connected businesses as well
- 5 Donkey sanctuary's new trail and batty activities this summer
- 6 Repaint of fish mural brightens up The Ham
- 7 United front needed to ensure Devon does not remain the poor relation
- 8 What will you find in this year's butterfly count?
- 9 A little respect goes a long way to reducing summer tensions
- 10 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards