Freezing temperatures expected across Devon overnight
DEVON County Council has issued a warning of icy roads as temperatures are set to plummet to as low as – 3C overnight.
DEVON County Council has issued a warning of icy roads as temperatures are set to plummet to as low as - 3C overnight.
The County Council's gritters will salt the major routes on the pre-salting network from 4pm onwards, covering around 1,650 miles across the county.
Following yesterday's downpours, water run-off is expected on roads which could cause icy patches. Gritting teams will be inspecting roads in the early hours to treat wet patches, but motorists are being advised to continue to drive with care.
Councillor Margaret Rogers, Devon County Council Executive Member for Environment, said: "With the amount of surface water that was around yesterday our teams are out again tonight to keep roads as clear as possible, but water run-off may leave some roads icy. The forecast shows that the weather over the next few days will be more settled but temperatures will be colder overnight so motorists must remember to drive with caution."
You may also want to watch:
Motorists are being reminded of the following advice:
* Avoid overnight travel unless absolutely essential as roads will always be more hazardous at night with less traffic and colder temperatures;
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 4 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 5 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 6 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 Lacemaking mum's labour of love for daughter's wedding
- 9 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 10 Hot! Hot! Hot! Haytor Heller
* Never assume a road has been salted - remember that showers or rain will wash salt off roads leaving them prone to ice. In very cold weather even salting will not stop ice from forming;
* Allow extra time for your journey and reduce your speed;
* Drive with care and according to the conditions.