Funeral director families come together in Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
Incoming funeral directors are recognising the need for continuity and working with a family established in the Sid Valley for more than a century.
Northcott brothers Peter and Edward have moved from their long-term Sidford hub to Temple Street to join fellow third generation morticians Wakely and Sons.
It is the firm’s 10th branch, and follows an expansion from Dorset into Somerset and Devon.
Simon Wakely said: “We feel very lucky to have Peter and Edward on board – we are a family business and recognise the importance of continuity.
“They are long established and we appreciate the relationships they have in the town.”
You may also want to watch:
He is from another long line of funeral directors, and for a time three generations worked side by side in the business.
“Granddad would have been very pleased to see this,” he added.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 9 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
The Northcotts have been established as funeral directors in Sidford since the 1890s, working from a Church Street business.
Peter said his grandfather was involved in everything from making coffins and driving the horse and cart – and a funeral cost just seven and sixpence – but today’s services have changed massively.
The 60-year-old said: “It’s a very personal job, you help people at a very difficult time. The most important thing is to be a good listener.”
He and Edward plan to stay on to offer a transition before they retire.