Gala Newton Pop raises �400
FUNDS of the Newton Poppleford Village Hall are richer by �400 following a Gala Night last month. Nearly 70 members of the local community as well as visitors to the village enjoyed a generous buffet supper followed by nearly two hours of entertainment. T
FUNDS of the Newton Poppleford Village Hall are richer by �400 following a Gala Night last month.
Nearly 70 members of the local community as well as visitors to the village enjoyed a generous buffet supper followed by nearly two hours of entertainment.
The first half took the form of an 'Old Time Music Hall' performed by Wally Cotgrave's well known singers, collectively known as 'Musicality'.
The group includes Vicki Campbell, Avril Best, Val Howells and John Burgoine with Dorothy Worthington's piano accompaniment.
You may also want to watch:
Roger Howell and Mo Cuthbert opened the second half of the programme with solos and duets from several well known shows.
Dan Barratt, Adam Owen-Jones, Avril Best and Tina Pavey at the keyboard performed seven varied items from their recent Sidmouth Manor Pavilion show 'Glorious Flanders and Swann'.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 4 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 Elusive mackerel still popping up for Devon anglers
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
- 9 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 10 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
Mary Cooper delighted the audience with two recitations by talented poet Pam Ayres, while Ray Pickworth's comic monologues added to the humour.
The whole programme was kept together by Ken David as compere for the evening.
He said: "Audience and cast alike voted the evening an enjoyable success, and it's hoped similar events could become a regular feature.