Gala Newton Pop raises �400
FUNDS of the Newton Poppleford Village Hall are richer by �400 following a Gala Night last month. Nearly 70 members of the local community as well as visitors to the village enjoyed a generous buffet supper followed by nearly two hours of entertainment. T
FUNDS of the Newton Poppleford Village Hall are richer by �400 following a Gala Night last month.
Nearly 70 members of the local community as well as visitors to the village enjoyed a generous buffet supper followed by nearly two hours of entertainment.
The first half took the form of an 'Old Time Music Hall' performed by Wally Cotgrave's well known singers, collectively known as 'Musicality'.
The group includes Vicki Campbell, Avril Best, Val Howells and John Burgoine with Dorothy Worthington's piano accompaniment.
Roger Howell and Mo Cuthbert opened the second half of the programme with solos and duets from several well known shows.
Dan Barratt, Adam Owen-Jones, Avril Best and Tina Pavey at the keyboard performed seven varied items from their recent Sidmouth Manor Pavilion show 'Glorious Flanders and Swann'.
- 1 'It's a nightmare': Sidmouth business react as roadworks get underway
- 2 Ottery resident honoured by Spanish principality
- 3 Night-time fish thief makes daring raids on Otter Garden Centre pond
- 4 Exciting discovery as Sidmouth observatory reopens
- 5 'Small farmers' livelihoods face collapse, post-Brexit'
- 6 DCC survey shows the condition of Devon's roads has improved
- 7 Tell us a Story
- 8 Sidmouth Repair Cafe to hold first session of the New Year
- 9 Book your space in the Ottery Tent at 2022 Food and Families Festival
- 10 Ottery's beautiful and historic church - 'little sister' to Exeter Cathedral
Mary Cooper delighted the audience with two recitations by talented poet Pam Ayres, while Ray Pickworth's comic monologues added to the humour.
The whole programme was kept together by Ken David as compere for the evening.
He said: "Audience and cast alike voted the evening an enjoyable success, and it's hoped similar events could become a regular feature.