Gaming centre opens in Sidmouth
SIDMOUTH S adult gaming centre quietly opened its doors to the public on Monday and soon attracted its first customers.
SIDMOUTH'S adult gaming centre quietly opened its doors to the public on Monday and soon attracted its first customers.
The arrival of Dove Gaming, Dove Lane, certainly created less fuss than did the criticism and objections made by residents during the planning and licensing process.
Owner George Symonds, who has similar establishments in Lyme Regis and Honiton, said: "There are no bright lights or flashing neon signs. Anyone is most welcome to come in and have a look."
There are 25 machines in the former public house, with four offering a �500 payout.
You may also want to watch:
No-one under 18 will be permitted and CCTV cameras inside and out will monitor the area.
Mr Symonds said all conditions imposed had been complied with, including soundproofing the ceiling and obscuring the machines from the entrance.
- 1 Town's garden competition effort judged
- 2 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 3 East Devon's first zero-emission hire car now on the road
- 4 Wars of the Roses and end of the medieval era
- 5 A tale of two cities made more accessible by air
- 6 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 7 Plea for collectors to support town's air show
- 8 Official accreditation for Sidmouth Vikings
- 9 Joseph's year of 100 half marathons to support refugees
- 10 Art society gear up for return of exhibition
Low level music will play during opening hours, which are from 9am to 10pm Monday to Saturday and until 6pm on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
"There is no drink on the premises other than tea or coffee served free to customers," he said. "The licensing officer inspected us and seems to be happy with what is here."
Manageress Claire Ripley, who has worked in betting shops, including the one in Sidmouth, for 18 years, said: "There has been a really positive response so far and I would really like people to come in if they are unsure of it and see what we are about.