Gaming centre opens in Sidmouth
SIDMOUTH S adult gaming centre quietly opened its doors to the public on Monday and soon attracted its first customers.
SIDMOUTH'S adult gaming centre quietly opened its doors to the public on Monday and soon attracted its first customers.
The arrival of Dove Gaming, Dove Lane, certainly created less fuss than did the criticism and objections made by residents during the planning and licensing process.
Owner George Symonds, who has similar establishments in Lyme Regis and Honiton, said: "There are no bright lights or flashing neon signs. Anyone is most welcome to come in and have a look."
There are 25 machines in the former public house, with four offering a �500 payout.
You may also want to watch:
No-one under 18 will be permitted and CCTV cameras inside and out will monitor the area.
Mr Symonds said all conditions imposed had been complied with, including soundproofing the ceiling and obscuring the machines from the entrance.
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
Low level music will play during opening hours, which are from 9am to 10pm Monday to Saturday and until 6pm on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
"There is no drink on the premises other than tea or coffee served free to customers," he said. "The licensing officer inspected us and seems to be happy with what is here."
Manageress Claire Ripley, who has worked in betting shops, including the one in Sidmouth, for 18 years, said: "There has been a really positive response so far and I would really like people to come in if they are unsure of it and see what we are about.