Gas warning in Sidmouth and Ottery

PUBLISHED: 10:09 13 September 2011

Burst water pipe

Burst water pipe

Archant

Safety week launched

FIREFIGHTERS are this week reminding residents in the Sidmouth and Ottery areas to “take care, be gas safe” during an awareness week which ends on Sunday.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service officers have encouraged homeowners to take care of their gas appliances with regular servicing and safety checks.

As cold weather approaches, many householders will use such appliances much more in the coming months, says the service.

“Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning,” said a fire service spokesperson.

“By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones.”

Top tips issued by fire safety officers include having all gas appliances checked annually and buying an audible carbon monoxide alarm.

Find out more about how to make sure your gas appliances are safe, or how to find an official gas engineer, by contacting the Gas Safe Register on 0800 4085500, or visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald