Gas warning in Sidmouth and Ottery
Safety week launched
FIREFIGHTERS are this week reminding residents in the Sidmouth and Ottery areas to “take care, be gas safe” during an awareness week which ends on Sunday.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service officers have encouraged homeowners to take care of their gas appliances with regular servicing and safety checks.
As cold weather approaches, many householders will use such appliances much more in the coming months, says the service.
“Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning,” said a fire service spokesperson.
You may also want to watch:
“By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones.”
Top tips issued by fire safety officers include having all gas appliances checked annually and buying an audible carbon monoxide alarm.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 7 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
Find out more about how to make sure your gas appliances are safe, or how to find an official gas engineer, by contacting the Gas Safe Register on 0800 4085500, or visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk.