Gas warning in Sidmouth and Ottery
Safety week launched
FIREFIGHTERS are this week reminding residents in the Sidmouth and Ottery areas to “take care, be gas safe” during an awareness week which ends on Sunday.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service officers have encouraged homeowners to take care of their gas appliances with regular servicing and safety checks.
As cold weather approaches, many householders will use such appliances much more in the coming months, says the service.
“Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning,” said a fire service spokesperson.
You may also want to watch:
“By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones.”
Top tips issued by fire safety officers include having all gas appliances checked annually and buying an audible carbon monoxide alarm.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
Find out more about how to make sure your gas appliances are safe, or how to find an official gas engineer, by contacting the Gas Safe Register on 0800 4085500, or visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk.