Gates causing holdup at Sidmouth development

PUBLISHED: 10:20 14 June 2009 | UPDATED: 09:25 18 June 2010

TRAFFIC is being held up at the entrance to the newly developed Cedar Shade site in Sidmouth, because of manually-opening entrance gates.

TRAFFIC is being held up at the entrance to the newly developed Cedar Shade site in Sidmouth, because of manually-opening entrance gates.

Town Council chairman, Councillor Peter Sullivan, raised concerns about the hold-ups during last Wednesday's planning meeting, while the committee were considering supporting minor alterations to the conversion of the former All Saints Road residential home.

FWS Carter & Sons want to make amendments to permission given for converting the home into five units and the building of five new units.

Mr Sullivan said: "I have no problems with the extension or internal works. What I have concerns about are the gates.

"When they are closed they are already causing traffic problems on the road if someone wants access."

He said he had been behind a van, which had stopped, half into the road, while the gates were opened.

"It they were electrically operated it would overcome the problem, but at the moment they are manually operated," he added.

Acting planning chairman, Councillor Ian Mackenzie-Edwards, said: "All Saints Road is a busy road. The idea of a car with its rear end stuck out into the road is concerning to me. We have enough traffic problems in the town, without adding one more."

The alterations planned at the development would create more privacy and safety for one of the plots, as well as extensions for a kitchen and ground floor toilet.

Councillor Mary Jolly said: "This is such a big project you can't get everything absolutely right first time. I see nothing wrong with these alterations."

Councillors supporting the application but will express concerns to County Highways over the build up of traffic when accessing and egressing the new gates.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald