Geoff and Eddie set sail around Britain
- Credit: Archant
A pair of experienced sailors from Beer have launched an ‘exciting’ challenge to sail around Britain in three months.
Geoff Pook and Eddie Burrows have teamed up to take on the 2,000 nanometer route, which is the equivalent of travelling from Plymouth to Gibraltar and back again.
Their course will take them past the Isles of Scilly, west Ireland and the Orkneys, before travelling along the east coast round to Dover.
Geoff, who is a parish and district councillor for Beer and Branscombe, has sailed the Atlantic Ocean and was inspired to take on the route after reading about it.
The New Road resident said: “It seemed a more interesting challenge. Eddie had also been thinking of it, too, so the idea became a plan and here we are.
You may also want to watch:
“We won’t be at sea all the time - probably only half a dozen two-day and three-day sails; most will be less than 24 hours, with a port or anchorage at night.
“The biggest challenge will be the weather, either too much or not enough disrupting the plan or being caught out in it.”
- 1 Husband and wife team take over at White & Son Shoes
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 New women’s team created at Sidmouth Rugby Club
- 4 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 5 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 6 Men replicating ladies at Ottery Bowls Club
- 7 Latest news and results from Sidmouth Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
Before they departed on May 14, the pair prepared the boat by installing new sails and rigging and replaced the engine to their Moody Eclipse 33 Sancler.
Geoff said: “Apart from preparing the boat and organising business, council and family issues took the most effort.
“Regarding council, I set as much up as possible before I went, but I am emailing on different issues daily.
“My daughter graduates this summer, so I have booked flights from Scotland to make sure I’m there.”
The pair is expected to arrive back in Beer on August 11 and has planned to go through the Caledonian Canal, if hit by too many delays.
During the trip, artist Eddie will also be painting his way around Britain when the boat is in the harbour.
Geoff added: “Eddie is a massively experienced sailor, having sailed most boats in most places for pleasure and commercially, but he has never been to west Ireland, Scotland or around Great Britain, so it’s exciting and challenging for both of us.”
They are charting their progress on their blog Two Old Men in A Boat.
To keep up to date, visit: https://twooldmeninaboat.wordpress.com/2016/04/