Giants pumpkins do Beer proud
A RIP-ROARING success is how organisers of this year s Beer Pumpkin Show described the vegetable spectacular.
A 'RIP-ROARING success' is how organisers of this year's Beer Pumpkin Show described the vegetable spectacular.
Beer villagers and visitors descended on the social club for the annual event, which this year raised over �600.
Giant pumpkins, marrows and onions were heaped together and auctioneer Kim Aplin encouraged everyone to get involved in the bidding.
Some �360 will go to various local charities including the WI, the senior citizens Christmas party, Scouts, Rainbows and Puffin.
You may also want to watch:
On top of that �100 was given to the entrants of the children's decorated vegetable competition and an additional �220 was raised for the club by the auction of a pair of Fly-Be airline tickets.
Jayne Aplin, an organiser, said: "It was a bit quieter on the evening during the auction but the children's entries were up a lot. Every child from school entered and they each received �1.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 7 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 8 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
"It was a great day and was very enjoyable."
Vera Colett Cup for heaviest local pumpkin - Darcie-Kate Morton 75lb
Walter Hawker Cup and Champions Shield for heaviest overall Pumpkin - Kim Salter 198.5lb
Best Shaped Pumpkin Shield - Andy Smitherman
Tom Barrett Cup for 4 Heaviest Onions - Darren Salter 17lb
Ken Westlake Memorial Cup for Heaviest Marrow - Kim Salter 53lb
Heaviest Cucumber - Janet Seawood 9.75lbs
Decorated Pumpkin Awards
Children's 6 and under - Lily Chapple
Children's 7 and over - Kadi Pidgeon
Adult - Martha Butler Challenge Shield - Jenny Newton