Giants pumpkins do Beer proud
A RIP-ROARING success is how organisers of this year s Beer Pumpkin Show described the vegetable spectacular.
A 'RIP-ROARING success' is how organisers of this year's Beer Pumpkin Show described the vegetable spectacular.
Beer villagers and visitors descended on the social club for the annual event, which this year raised over �600.
Giant pumpkins, marrows and onions were heaped together and auctioneer Kim Aplin encouraged everyone to get involved in the bidding.
Some �360 will go to various local charities including the WI, the senior citizens Christmas party, Scouts, Rainbows and Puffin.
You may also want to watch:
On top of that �100 was given to the entrants of the children's decorated vegetable competition and an additional �220 was raised for the club by the auction of a pair of Fly-Be airline tickets.
Jayne Aplin, an organiser, said: "It was a bit quieter on the evening during the auction but the children's entries were up a lot. Every child from school entered and they each received �1.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
"It was a great day and was very enjoyable."
Vera Colett Cup for heaviest local pumpkin - Darcie-Kate Morton 75lb
Walter Hawker Cup and Champions Shield for heaviest overall Pumpkin - Kim Salter 198.5lb
Best Shaped Pumpkin Shield - Andy Smitherman
Tom Barrett Cup for 4 Heaviest Onions - Darren Salter 17lb
Ken Westlake Memorial Cup for Heaviest Marrow - Kim Salter 53lb
Heaviest Cucumber - Janet Seawood 9.75lbs
Decorated Pumpkin Awards
Children's 6 and under - Lily Chapple
Children's 7 and over - Kadi Pidgeon
Adult - Martha Butler Challenge Shield - Jenny Newton