Giants pumpkins do Beer proud
A RIP-ROARING success is how organisers of this year s Beer Pumpkin Show described the vegetable spectacular.
A 'RIP-ROARING success' is how organisers of this year's Beer Pumpkin Show described the vegetable spectacular.
Beer villagers and visitors descended on the social club for the annual event, which this year raised over �600.
Giant pumpkins, marrows and onions were heaped together and auctioneer Kim Aplin encouraged everyone to get involved in the bidding.
Some �360 will go to various local charities including the WI, the senior citizens Christmas party, Scouts, Rainbows and Puffin.
You may also want to watch:
On top of that �100 was given to the entrants of the children's decorated vegetable competition and an additional �220 was raised for the club by the auction of a pair of Fly-Be airline tickets.
Jayne Aplin, an organiser, said: "It was a bit quieter on the evening during the auction but the children's entries were up a lot. Every child from school entered and they each received �1.
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 4 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 5 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 6 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 7 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 8 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 9 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 10 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
"It was a great day and was very enjoyable."
Vera Colett Cup for heaviest local pumpkin - Darcie-Kate Morton 75lb
Walter Hawker Cup and Champions Shield for heaviest overall Pumpkin - Kim Salter 198.5lb
Best Shaped Pumpkin Shield - Andy Smitherman
Tom Barrett Cup for 4 Heaviest Onions - Darren Salter 17lb
Ken Westlake Memorial Cup for Heaviest Marrow - Kim Salter 53lb
Heaviest Cucumber - Janet Seawood 9.75lbs
Decorated Pumpkin Awards
Children's 6 and under - Lily Chapple
Children's 7 and over - Kadi Pidgeon
Adult - Martha Butler Challenge Shield - Jenny Newton