Girls help Tanya sail closer to £3k target
- Credit: Archant
Guides from Sidmouth and Honiton did their best to help one of their own - as she prepares for a five-day sailing challenge.
Tanya Trevena was selected to represent the county in the Fastnet race later this year.
Now in its 90th year, the competition will begin from Cowes on Sunday, August 16.
Participants will then have to navigate their boats around Fastnet Rock, near Ireland, before finishing in Plymouth.
Tanya, a 1st Sidmouth Guides leader, is almost half-way to raising the £3,000 she needs to raise to take part in the race.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday, girl guides from the two groups helped to pack shoppers’ bags at Tesco in Honiton, raising more than £330.
Tanya said: “My training is going well. My second weekend on the yacht was spent taking part in the Cervantes Trophy race from Cowes to Le Havre in France.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 7 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 8 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 9 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
“We experienced gale force six winds. We were told it was probably the worst sea state that we will experience during our trips through the English Channel. So we were really being thrown in at the deep end.
“I won’t lie - it was scary at times, but also exhilarating and exciting.”
Tanya’s next big event is a Tudor evening at Sand Manor in Sidbury on Saturday, June 13. The event is limited to 10 places and will feature a six-course authentic Tudor meal. Tickets cost £50 per head and can be obtained by phoning Tanya on 01395 597353.
To donate, visit Tanya’s Just Gving page on: https://www.justgiving.com/TT-Fastnet/