Girls help Tanya sail closer to £3k target
- Credit: Archant
Guides from Sidmouth and Honiton did their best to help one of their own - as she prepares for a five-day sailing challenge.
Tanya Trevena was selected to represent the county in the Fastnet race later this year.
Now in its 90th year, the competition will begin from Cowes on Sunday, August 16.
Participants will then have to navigate their boats around Fastnet Rock, near Ireland, before finishing in Plymouth.
Tanya, a 1st Sidmouth Guides leader, is almost half-way to raising the £3,000 she needs to raise to take part in the race.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday, girl guides from the two groups helped to pack shoppers’ bags at Tesco in Honiton, raising more than £330.
Tanya said: “My training is going well. My second weekend on the yacht was spent taking part in the Cervantes Trophy race from Cowes to Le Havre in France.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Date announced for unveiling of Ottery's Coleridge statue
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 Nature's own nocturnal acrobats gracing the skies in Devon
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
“We experienced gale force six winds. We were told it was probably the worst sea state that we will experience during our trips through the English Channel. So we were really being thrown in at the deep end.
“I won’t lie - it was scary at times, but also exhilarating and exciting.”
Tanya’s next big event is a Tudor evening at Sand Manor in Sidbury on Saturday, June 13. The event is limited to 10 places and will feature a six-course authentic Tudor meal. Tickets cost £50 per head and can be obtained by phoning Tanya on 01395 597353.
To donate, visit Tanya’s Just Gving page on: https://www.justgiving.com/TT-Fastnet/