‘Gobsmacked’ at abandoned camp fire
SIDMOUTH and Ottery users of an East Devon beauty spot have been urged not to light fires on heathland.
Woodbury Common warden Bungy Williams said he was “gobsmacked’ on Monday when a smouldering campfire was discovered on land opposite the Wheathill car park.
The fire service has called for public vigilance and warned action will be taken against anyone caught deliberately lighting fires on the common.
Mr Williams said there was a total ban on lighting fires or barbecues on the commons.
He said no matter how vigilant or competent people thought they were, the ban was in place to prevent accidents.