Good Friday choral concert: St John Passion
- Credit: Archant
The emotive work by JS Bach tells the story of Christ’s arrest, trial, crucifixion and death
The St John Passion, by JS Bach, will be performed on Good Friday, April 19, at Sidmouth Parish Church, by the Sidmouth Occasional Choir.
The choral work, last heard in Sidmouth in 2016, tells in music the story from St John’s Gospel of Christ’s arrest, trial, crucifixion and death.
The history is interspersed with music set to extracts of poetry providing commentary and reflection. There is high drama when Peter denies knowing Christ, and when crowds bay for Christ to be crucified, shouting for Barabbas to be released instead. There is also music of great beauty and quietness.
This was Bach’s first really large-scale choral work after he became Director of Music at St Thomas Church in Leipzig. He had to create the whole inspiring work, choosing all the words for it and then setting them to music. It was first performed on Good Friday, 1724.
You may also want to watch:
Prices at the door are £12.50 and £15, under 18s: £5.
- 1 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 4 The questions of British Lions selection
- 5 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 6 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 10 The keys to good teamwork? Trust, communiication, commitment and accountability