Grab yourself a bargain at scouts’ jumble sale
- Credit: Archant
Bargain hunters are invited enjoy some retail therapy in Ottery next week as the town’s scouts host their annual jumble sale.
Touted as one of the biggest sales in the South West, the event serves as a vital fundraiser for the First Ottery Scouts, with all proceeds going towards activities planned throughout the year.
Everything from furniture and antiques to electrical items and books will be on sale at two separate locations on Saturday, January 31.
A huge selection of paperbacks and hardbacks will be available at the Coleridge Playschool, in Jesu Street, from 11am, with the main sale taking place at The Institute from 1.30pm.
John Green, group scout leader, said: “The money we raise helps us subsidise many of the events and activities that we organise for the young people within the scout group, so it is a hugely important event for us and as usual we will have a host of friends, parents and supporters rally round to ensure that the whole process runs smoothly.
You may also want to watch:
“We are obviously deeply indebted to all the people who help organise the event by collecting jumble, sorting the lots out and then assisting us with selling, but none of this would be possible without the generous donations from the public.”
Jumble collections will take place on the evenings of Monday, January 26, and Tuesday, January 27, with the scout vans out in Ottery and West Hill to collect donations.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 8 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 9 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 10 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
A second sale will take place on February, Saturday 7, at The Institute, with clothing, shoes and haberdashery on offer.