Grab yourself a bargain at scouts’ jumble sale
- Credit: Archant
Bargain hunters are invited enjoy some retail therapy in Ottery next week as the town’s scouts host their annual jumble sale.
Touted as one of the biggest sales in the South West, the event serves as a vital fundraiser for the First Ottery Scouts, with all proceeds going towards activities planned throughout the year.
Everything from furniture and antiques to electrical items and books will be on sale at two separate locations on Saturday, January 31.
A huge selection of paperbacks and hardbacks will be available at the Coleridge Playschool, in Jesu Street, from 11am, with the main sale taking place at The Institute from 1.30pm.
John Green, group scout leader, said: “The money we raise helps us subsidise many of the events and activities that we organise for the young people within the scout group, so it is a hugely important event for us and as usual we will have a host of friends, parents and supporters rally round to ensure that the whole process runs smoothly.
You may also want to watch:
“We are obviously deeply indebted to all the people who help organise the event by collecting jumble, sorting the lots out and then assisting us with selling, but none of this would be possible without the generous donations from the public.”
Jumble collections will take place on the evenings of Monday, January 26, and Tuesday, January 27, with the scout vans out in Ottery and West Hill to collect donations.
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 6 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 7 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 8 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 9 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 10 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
A second sale will take place on February, Saturday 7, at The Institute, with clothing, shoes and haberdashery on offer.