Nick Wilkes play Lost the Plot at Manor Pavilion Theatre, Sidmouth
- Credit: Malvernbard Productions
Play tells the story of two village gravediggers who delve into long-buried family secrets
Lost the Plot is a new play by Nick Wilkes which delves a little more deeply into the shires of England than some may feel comfortable with.
Cousins Bill and Sam are gravediggers, and have always carried out their work with a dignified diligence. But when they discover that their great-grandfather was not who they thought, and questions arise over a missing family fortune, it doesn’t take long before a few more holes start appearing in the churchyard than is normal.
So what will be unearthed? What will be laid to rest, and what should remain buried? Sometimes you need to know when to stop digging...
Nick Wilkes said: “It’s good fun to be playing on stage with coffins, skulls and the sort of scenery and props you won’t find in an average play. But be prepared for a few shocks as well as a few laughs.”
You may also want to watch:
Nick is no stranger to village life, having been brought up in a small village on the Worcestershire/Gloucestershire border. He believes the still waters can run deeper than may first appear.
“We had hedges that had been growing since medieval times, parish records stretching back centuries, and a church that, in various forms, had stood on the same site for longer than anyone could fathom,” he said. “It always intrigued me how connected the village was with its past.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon
“It made me consider how truths, facts, and hidden histories can be passed down through objects, locations and trades, and the bridge that they create across the generations. That was the starting point for the story.
Lost the Plot is at the Manor Pavilion Theatre, Sidmouth, Friday, November 16 and Saturday, November 17 November at 8pm. Tickets £15, Box Office 01395 514413.