Green groups call on beach-lovers for help
- Credit: Archant
A quartet of green organisations is calling on 5,000 beach-lovers to clean shores in Sidmouth and around the South West.
Surfers Against Sewage, World Animal Protection, Vita Coco and Protect Direct have teamed up for their biggest ever Big Spring Beach Clean next weekend (March 27 to 29).
They are calling on the public to roll up their sleeves and tackle this ‘tideline of trash’ as they work to slash UK beach litter by 50 per cent by 2020.
Surfers Against Sewage project manager Dom Ferris said: “Each year we are blown away by the commitment and passion of our coastal communities.
“This year we can and will draw a line in the sand in the battle against marine litter.”
You may also want to watch:
Volunteers will be kitted out with heavy duty bags and biodegradable bin bags for litter-picking in Sidmouth from 11am to 2pm next Sunday (March 29).
They will also be out in force in Beer from the same times next Saturday (March 28).
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
Visit www.sas.org.uk for more information.