Guy lands Sidmouth Black Rod title
Lifeboat volunteer won Sidbury fun run in the same day.
FLEET footed fishing ace Guy Bennett landed Sidmouth’s Black Rod title and won the Sidbury Fair Fun Run in the space of just a few hours.
Lifeboat volunteer Guy said scoring both triumphs led to ‘the best day of his life’.
Intrepid fishing folk in Sidmouth turned out in force and cast their lines into the surf for the 11th annual Black Rod competition on Sunday. The open beach competition attracted 22 entries fishing between Alma Bridge and Jacob’s ladder in a five-hour period between 4pm and 9pm.
Eventual winner Guy hooked a 3.25lb dogfish, caught using squid to secure the Black Rod title.
You may also want to watch:
Guy had competed in and won the Sidbury Fair Fun Run earlier in the day ahead of 80 competitors.
He said: “It has been the best day of my life and thanks must go to my dad and sister for their fishing expertise”
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 5 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 6 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 7 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 10 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights