Guy lands Sidmouth Black Rod title
Lifeboat volunteer won Sidbury fun run in the same day.
FLEET footed fishing ace Guy Bennett landed Sidmouth’s Black Rod title and won the Sidbury Fair Fun Run in the space of just a few hours.
Lifeboat volunteer Guy said scoring both triumphs led to ‘the best day of his life’.
Intrepid fishing folk in Sidmouth turned out in force and cast their lines into the surf for the 11th annual Black Rod competition on Sunday. The open beach competition attracted 22 entries fishing between Alma Bridge and Jacob’s ladder in a five-hour period between 4pm and 9pm.
Eventual winner Guy hooked a 3.25lb dogfish, caught using squid to secure the Black Rod title.
You may also want to watch:
Guy had competed in and won the Sidbury Fair Fun Run earlier in the day ahead of 80 competitors.
He said: “It has been the best day of my life and thanks must go to my dad and sister for their fishing expertise”
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 7 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show