Hair-raising fundraiser at Sidford pub
Rising Sun regulars raise more than �500 for Devon Air Ambulance in hairy fundraising challenge
A spur-of-the-moment decision by Sidford regulars at The Rising Sun, to hold a hairy-themed fundraiser, has raised hundreds for Devon Air Ambulance.
While men grew beards, women agreed not to shave their legs. Each put in �20 but those who broke the rules paid �50.
Then regulars Stan Gage and Richard Bennett volunteered to have their heads shaved and with the sponsorship they raised, the cheque being handed to DAAT on Sunday will be for more than �500.
Hair stylist Leon Denning from Headliners, Sidmouth, gave the men Grade Three haircuts.
You may also want to watch:
Landlady Ceri Ward, who forfeited �50 after succumbing to shaving her legs in the hot weather, said: “All the men kept their beards except Leon but only one lady kept her legs unshaven and the rest of us had to pay �50.
“It was a spur-of-the-moment thing and because a couple of regulars had experiences of Devon Air Ambulance we thought it was charity that could benefit from it.”
- 1 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 2 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 3 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 4 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 5 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 6 An extra £4.6 billion made available to support UK businesses during lockdown
- 7 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 8 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 9 Sidmouth Photography Club: Photography officially recognised for its mental health benefits
- 10 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon