Happy art show at Newton Poppleford
TO RAISE everyone s spirits during a soggy summer, Newton Poppleford Art Society has adopted the theme Happy Holidays for its 2009 annual exhibition and fundraising.
TO RAISE everyone's spirits during a soggy summer, Newton Poppleford Art Society has adopted the theme Happy Holidays for its 2009 annual exhibition and fundraising.
Visitors to the art exhibition, which will take place from Wednesday, July 29 to Wednesday, August 5 at Newton Poppleford Primary School, will be asked to select the painting which they think best depicts their memories and images of a happy holiday.
At the same time, three holidays will be on offer at a prize draw, organised to raise funds for its chosen charity, Hospiscare.
Chairman Roger Boud said: "In 2007 we raised over �1,000 for Hospiscare's 25th anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
"Then last year, �750 was raised with the Big Picture, when 30 artists each painted a square of a famous Lowry painting, The Fever Van."
The top prize, courtesy of Bristol-based Seasons Holidays plc, is a holiday worth up to �700 offering seven nights luxury self-catering accommodation for two at Seasons Whitbarrow Village, in the Lake District.
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
The Cottage Hotel, Hope Cove has offered two nights' dinner, bed and breakfast for two as the second prize, and the Royal Beacon Hotel, Exmouth, has given one night's dinner bed and breakfast for two.
Tickets are available through the society's secretary on (01404) 812630. Hospiscare shops and the Exeter hospice are also selling them.
The draw will take place at the exhibition's preview on Tuesday, July 28, when more than 200 original paintings will be on show from 7pm.
*The society, which has grown to 90 members, meets at Newton Poppleford Church Hall on the third Thursday of the month. For more information call Colin Baines on (01404) 812630.