Happy art show at Newton Poppleford
TO RAISE everyone s spirits during a soggy summer, Newton Poppleford Art Society has adopted the theme Happy Holidays for its 2009 annual exhibition and fundraising.
TO RAISE everyone's spirits during a soggy summer, Newton Poppleford Art Society has adopted the theme Happy Holidays for its 2009 annual exhibition and fundraising.
Visitors to the art exhibition, which will take place from Wednesday, July 29 to Wednesday, August 5 at Newton Poppleford Primary School, will be asked to select the painting which they think best depicts their memories and images of a happy holiday.
At the same time, three holidays will be on offer at a prize draw, organised to raise funds for its chosen charity, Hospiscare.
Chairman Roger Boud said: "In 2007 we raised over �1,000 for Hospiscare's 25th anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
"Then last year, �750 was raised with the Big Picture, when 30 artists each painted a square of a famous Lowry painting, The Fever Van."
The top prize, courtesy of Bristol-based Seasons Holidays plc, is a holiday worth up to �700 offering seven nights luxury self-catering accommodation for two at Seasons Whitbarrow Village, in the Lake District.
- 1 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 4 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 7 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 8 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
The Cottage Hotel, Hope Cove has offered two nights' dinner, bed and breakfast for two as the second prize, and the Royal Beacon Hotel, Exmouth, has given one night's dinner bed and breakfast for two.
Tickets are available through the society's secretary on (01404) 812630. Hospiscare shops and the Exeter hospice are also selling them.
The draw will take place at the exhibition's preview on Tuesday, July 28, when more than 200 original paintings will be on show from 7pm.
*The society, which has grown to 90 members, meets at Newton Poppleford Church Hall on the third Thursday of the month. For more information call Colin Baines on (01404) 812630.