Hardy souls gear up for Boxing Day Swim
As Christmas draws closer so does Sidmouth’s famous Boxing Day Swim and organisers are hoping for a sunny day after last year’s snow.
Not that it put off more than 200 hardy souls at last year’s event, who braved the cold in their fancy dress to take part.
The swim, which started in 1985 with just a few people to work off any Christmas Day excesses, has grown over the years and hundreds of spectators line the esplanade to watch those who take the plunge.
But because of the potentially icy conditions Sidmouth Regatta Committee and Sidmouth RNLI ask entrants to sign a disclaimer before taking part, and Sidmouth lifeboat will be on hand during the swim.
Anybody wishing to take part should sign in and gather in front of Sidmouth sailing and Sea Angling Club at 10.30am on Boxing Day to show off their fancy dress.
The swim itself takes place at around 11am.
Swimmers themselves do not have to collect sponsorship, but there will be a collection for the RNLI on the day.
- 1 Body of woman found near Sidmouth
- 2 Ottery St Mary - a shopping paradise
- 3 Photos: Sidmouth's latest cliff collapses caught on camera
- 4 Retailers need to be on high alert against new scam
- 5 A flying visit to a bird reserve and a view on Sidmouth's charity shops - Toto's latest woofings...
- 6 'Like a moth to a flame...'
- 7 Great to see the sunshine as Folk Festival returned
- 8 Ottery couple celebrate platinum wedding anniversary
- 9 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 10 Town council joins protest against Sidmouth bus cuts
Organisers do warn however the event is ‘weather permitting’, and may be called off at short notice.