Headlight youth support programme continues in Axminster and Ottery during lockdown
- Credit: Picture: Philippa Davies
Remote online meetings and YouTube videos have replaced face-to-face sessions for the Headlight youth mental well-being support group during the coronavirus lockdown.
Headlight, run by Action East Devon, has peer support groups in Axminster and Ottery St Mary, for 13 to 18 year olds, and 18 to 24 year olds who are registered with the service.
The group sessions are currently being carried out online, on alternate weeks for the two age groups.
The Ottery sessions take place on Monday evenings and those for Axminster are on Thursdays.
Young people being supported by Headlight are also being offered weekly check-ins, which can lead to a one-to-one meeting with a mental health support worker; this can be done via a phone call, video call or a text conversation for those who find it difficult to talk.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Ben Feasey said: “Just a five-minute check-in can mean the world to some young people - it helps remind them that someone is thinking of them and is there to talk if they need to.”
Referrals for support can still be made in the usual way via an online form on the website www.actioneastdevon.org.uk
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 4 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 5 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 6 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
The Headlight team are putting out regular short videos for young people on their YouTube channel @Headlight Action East Devon, giving tips on mindfulness techniques and advice on mental wellbeing.