Headteacher gets wed
THE headteacher of Payhembury Church of England Primary School has got married.
Penny Carvill became Penny Hammett on December 11 when she married Mark Hammett in the village church of St Mary the Virgin, part of the Otter Vale team ministry.
The school has been judged good and outstanding in Ofsted and Statutory Inspection of Anglican Schools inspections under the guidance of Mrs Hammett.
It played an important part on the special day, as the service was conducted by the chairman of governors, the Rev Cate Edmonds, and the children formed a surprise choir to sing Mrs Hammett’s favourite song.
Children lined the steps of the church waving flags and blowing bubbles as the happy couple left. At the bottom of the steps parents served mulled wine and mince pies with the sound of the church bells ringing out, before the wedding party departed for a reception in the parish hall.
Demonstrating Mrs Hammett’s dedication to duty, she returned to school on the Monday morning. She said: “I wanted to share with the children the most wonderful day of my life.”
Rev Edmonds said: “The day was enjoyed by so many people and truly was an outstanding day for an outstanding teacher.”
- 1 Council set to approve plans for a new quarry in Ottery St Mary
- 2 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 3 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 4 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now
- 5 New look for interior of Sidmouth's Norman Lockyer Observatory
- 6 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 7 Four great attractions to visit prior to Christmas
- 8 Chiefs beaten by a powerful second-half from league leaders
- 9 Popular art exhibition returns this Christmas
- 10 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change