“Heartbreaking” mess at Sidmouth beauty spot
A SECLUDED Sidmouth beauty spot was left looking like a tip - filled with broken bottles, beer cans, tents, rotting food - and even human excrement.
Dog walkers labelled the desecration of Gilchrist Meadow, bought by the Sid Vale Association (SVA) for the people of the town to enjoy, as “heartbreaking”.
Our pictures show how rogue campers took over the area - in The Byes - at the end of last week and left a trail of trash in their wake.
They even used the tranquil setting as a toilet.
Denby Terrace resident Dot Crook was among those to discover the mess while walking pet Labrador, Ros�.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “There was untold damage in the damage up at the pond, loads of empty broken bottles, broken tents, trees broken for fires, sausages still in their packets rotting and lots of rubbish ad human excrement.
“It was absolutely awful and heartbreaking after all the work done there by the SVA.”
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
She said Ros� was left ill after eating some of the rotting meat left behind.
SVA members cleaned up the site last Monday and restored it to its spotless condition.