Heartfelt poem by patient from Ottery helps boost morale of striking junior doctors
- Credit: Archant
Words read out on picket line this week in support of NHS staff
A heartfelt poem handwritten by a hospital-bound Ottery resident is helping to promote the cause of striking junior doctors.
Grenville Gilbert is currently in the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital and his experience of ‘devoted’ NHS staff prompted him to pen a few lines, which were subsequently passed on to people on the picket line.
The poem was read out by junior doctor Matt Jones and filmed by intercalating medical student Rachel Dbeis – who shared it via social media.
Mr Gilbert’s daughter, Emma Morris, said doctors have been up to the ward thank her father for his words and the video has received more than 12,000 ‘likes’ on Facebook.
You may also want to watch:
The Poem to junior doctors by Grenville Gilbert:
“It really makes me furious
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 7 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 10 Two superb centuries in Sidbury victory
It’s just got to be said
The way that they treat the juniors
Writing from my hospital bed
I’ve witnessed their devotion
The long hours that they do
Especially at the weekends
Caring for me and you
The government is so wicked
Treats the public with contempt
But the public isn’t stupid
And wants a just settlement
So stop playing games
With our dear NHS
We support the junior doctors
Wishing them total success”
Thousands of junior doctors across the country took industrial action this week over a dispute with the Government about new contracts.