Help raise £250,000 for East Devon’s new day hospice
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth Herald joins forces with Hospiscare to launch the East Devon Day Hospice Appeal to raise £250,000 for the new state-of-the-art facility.
The Sidmouth Herald has joined forces with Hopiscare to help raise £250,000 to complete and run a new day hospice serving the communities of East Devon.
Plans were announced last year to open the state-of-the-art centre, which is to be built in King Street, Honiton. It will be a haven of care for thousands of people across East Devon.
The Sidmouth Herald and Hospiscare is launching the East Devon Day Hospice Appeal and are inviting people to get involved by organising or supporting events across East Devon, volunteering or simply making a donation.
Hospiscare appeal fundraiser Sarah Smith said: “We are really excited to be working in partnership with the Sidmouth Herald to let people know about the new day hospice and the appeal.
You may also want to watch:
“The partnership will help us to bring exclusive news and updates to the people of East Devon first.
“The East Devon Day Hospice will be your hospice supporting local patients and their families - helping them make the most of precious time.”
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
Most importantly the new day hospice will bring care closer, providing terminally ill patients with better access to the healthcare professionals they know and trust, as well as providing a place where carers and families can drop in for support, information and reassurance.
Hospiscare currently runs an in-patient unit and day hospice in Exeter as well as a day hospice in Tiverton.
The new day hospice in Honiton is due to open this summer providing a patients’ lounge, assisted bathroom, therapy room, quiet room and kitchen, as well as a beautiful sensory garden.
Hospiscare received a grant of £510,000 from NHS England as well as generous pledges from its sister charities, Budleigh, Exmouth and Sidmouth Hospiscare, to bring the plans for the new day hospice to fruition.
Appeal ambassador Pat Rogers, from Budleigh Salterton, said: “The provision of a purpose built day hospice for people living in East Devon is extremely good news.
“I am delighted to be an ambassador for this project and I would invite everyone to visit the appeal website and read their local newspaper to keep up to date with all the latest developments.”
For more information or to get involved please contact appeal fundraiser Sarah Smith on 07843 471433, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.eastdevondayhospiceappeal.co.uk.