Help shape Sidmouth’s new gym
- Credit: Archant
RESIDENTS can have their say on an outdoor gym for Sidmouth at a public consultation tomorrow (Saturday, June 28).
A voting event will be held during the Sidmouth Armed Forces Day fete from 2pm to 4pm at The Ham.
Around £15,000 will be splashed on the free-to-use facility, which is set to be installed in Stowford on green space opposite the community centre.
District and town councils have been working together on the project and say the scheme is one residents have asked for.
People of all ages who live in the parish - including Sidbury, Sidford and Salcombe Regis – have been invited to have a hand in how the outdoor gym looks.
You may also want to watch:
Three proposed designs have been suggested and the one that gains the most votes will be installed.
East Devon District Council says the gym facility has been ‘proposed and chosen by the local community’.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 3 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 4 Village panto group secures prestigious national award
- 5 Keep safe and enjoy return of Tar Barrels spectacle
- 6 Sidmouth Repair Cafe set to reopen later this month
- 7 As fuel poverty bites we ask who cares for the carers?
- 8 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 9 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 10 Gold award success for Sidmouth and 'outstanding' community projects praised by South West In Bloom
The scheme was a winning idea from an initiative late last year to spend £150,000 of sports funding accumulated from recent Sidmouth housing developments. A working group from Sidmouth Town Council has decided the initial gym equipment will be best placed ‘clustered together in the Stowford area’.
Councillor Iain Chubb, EDDC’s cabinet member for environment, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for the people of Sidmouth to really make a difference by deciding which outdoor gym they get, after they voted for an outdoor gym to happen.”