Help shape Sidmouth’s new gym
- Credit: Archant
RESIDENTS can have their say on an outdoor gym for Sidmouth at a public consultation tomorrow (Saturday, June 28).
A voting event will be held during the Sidmouth Armed Forces Day fete from 2pm to 4pm at The Ham.
Around £15,000 will be splashed on the free-to-use facility, which is set to be installed in Stowford on green space opposite the community centre.
District and town councils have been working together on the project and say the scheme is one residents have asked for.
People of all ages who live in the parish - including Sidbury, Sidford and Salcombe Regis – have been invited to have a hand in how the outdoor gym looks.
You may also want to watch:
Three proposed designs have been suggested and the one that gains the most votes will be installed.
East Devon District Council says the gym facility has been ‘proposed and chosen by the local community’.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 5 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 6 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 7 Country owes a 'great debt' to The Duke of Edinburgh
- 8 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
The scheme was a winning idea from an initiative late last year to spend £150,000 of sports funding accumulated from recent Sidmouth housing developments. A working group from Sidmouth Town Council has decided the initial gym equipment will be best placed ‘clustered together in the Stowford area’.
Councillor Iain Chubb, EDDC’s cabinet member for environment, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for the people of Sidmouth to really make a difference by deciding which outdoor gym they get, after they voted for an outdoor gym to happen.”