Hirst sketch up for auction
- Credit: Archant
AN impromptu sketch by Damien Hirst will go under the hammer in Ottery St Mary next week.
The world-renowned artist gifted the piece to a housekeeper at Chanters Lodge when it was a bed and breakfast as a thank-you after he stayed there after enjoying the Tar Barrels in 2001.
The piece is to be sold at Ottery Auction Rooms on Thursday (January 16) after its owner, who wants to remain anonymous, decided to sell it.
A guide price of £600 - £800 has been estimated for the drawing.
Auction house owner David Sumner said it is one of the most exciting lots the business has come across since it opened last year.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve gone from an idea to selling a Damien Hirst in nine months,” he added.
“We’ve already had huge interest.”
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal