Hirst sketch up for auction
- Credit: Archant
AN impromptu sketch by Damien Hirst will go under the hammer in Ottery St Mary next week.
The world-renowned artist gifted the piece to a housekeeper at Chanters Lodge when it was a bed and breakfast as a thank-you after he stayed there after enjoying the Tar Barrels in 2001.
The piece is to be sold at Ottery Auction Rooms on Thursday (January 16) after its owner, who wants to remain anonymous, decided to sell it.
A guide price of £600 - £800 has been estimated for the drawing.
Auction house owner David Sumner said it is one of the most exciting lots the business has come across since it opened last year.
“We’ve gone from an idea to selling a Damien Hirst in nine months,” he added.
“We’ve already had huge interest.”
- 1 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 2 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 3 Dates for Santa's sleigh tour of Sidmouth, Sidford and Newton Poppleford
- 4 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 5 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 6 Sidmouth's band announces cancelled concerts
- 7 Sidmouth Running Club welcomes return of the Bicton Blister
- 8 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 9 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route
- 10 Shopping locally has never mattered so much as it does now