Historic aircraft engine issues prompt Sidmouth display cancellation - but Red Arrows still set to appear
- Credit: Archant
Historic aircraft will not be flying over Sidmouth this week due to ongoing issues with their engines, organisers confirmed today.
The RAF grounded a number of planes, including the Lancaster Bomber and two Spitfires that were set to appear in the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) on Friday (August 25).
The Red Arrows are still set to appear at 6.30pm.
Town clerk Christopher Holland said: “The BBMF have today confirmed that despite their engineers’ efforts over the past two weeks, they will not be able to perform at Sidmouth this year due to continuing investigations into Merlin engine problems.
“This has affected a number of air shows across the country but the safety of the spectators and the aircrews is of course paramount.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst we are very disappointed not to have a visit from the BBMF, we are delighted that the RAF aerobatic team, the Red Arrows, are still scheduled to display as usual at 6.30pm to kick off Sidmouth Regatta Weekend in style.
“Spectators are asked to be as generous as they can with donations to enable the Reds and hopefully other groups like the BBMF to return next year.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
“Anyone wishing to volunteer to collect to help keep this air display an annual event should contact Sidmouth Regatta organiser Oliver Salter on 07966 064685.”
Sidmouth Regatta, on Saturday and Sunday, will boat sailing, three-legged and raft races, live music, a massive firework display and much more.