Historical links in Sidbury
- Credit: Archant
East Devon has some delightful villages to explore, right across the area.
The thriving community of Sidbury nestles in the Sid valley, a few miles inland from where the river flows out to sea in Sidmouth.
Thought to be one of the earliest settlements in the county, its name is though to have been derived from a nearby Iron Age fort.
Devon, by W G Hoskins, pays particular attention to the village church of St Giles, sating it is ‘one of the most interesting in Devon’.
It said: “Restoration work on the chancel in 1898-9 revealed a Saxon crypt underneath, the precise date of which is unknown.”
You may also want to watch:
The crypt is one of only six to be found in the whole country, dating from around AD 680 and tours are available during the summer months.
Sidbury also marks the mid-way point of the East Devon Way, which runs from the Exe estuary to Uplyme and takes walkers along a route of approximately 40 miles, through the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
Another site in the centre of the village that is worth a visit is Deepway Meadow.
Also known as Sidbury Millennium Green, it is open to the public for recreation and was created in 2000 as a Millennium Project in 2000.
Next to the River Sid, the area features grassland, woodland planting, a pond, dipping platform and rustic benches and there is access to the site via a public footpath and you can also get to the village cricket pitch.
With so many interesting things to see in Sidbury, it is well worth taking a little time to explore this modern East Devon village which has strong historical links.