Holiday bid so family can make precious memories
- Credit: Archant
Donations have flooded in to an online campaign to send a terminally ill mum and her family on a dream holiday to Florida - so they can make cherished memories.
Naomi Thomas (pictured), 33, has expressed her surprise at being at the centre of the bid - organised by a Honiton woman who admires her charity work.
Sidmouth-born Naomi was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009. She hoped she had beaten the disease, but doctors told her she had an incurable tumour on her spine just days after the birth of her son, Devon.
Naomi and husband Graham were able to enjoy their dream wedding in 2012 thanks to the kindness of strangers who came forward to make the day a reality.
Naomi has since set up the Wedding Wishing Well Foundation charity and works hard to help other couples affected by terminal illness to tie the knot.
You may also want to watch:
Hannah Chesterfield launched a JustGiving page to raise £3,500 to send Naomi and her family to Disney World in Florida. Since March 3, the page has raised more than £1,300. Hannah said: “Like any young wife and mother, I know how much she wants to make cherished memories and I wanted to help fulfil as many dreams of hers as possible.”
The 30-year-old first met Naomi in 2013 when she offered to write press releases for the charity.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 9 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
Hannah added: “The fact that people have taken the time to follow the link and donate is really a great thing.
“She deserves to have a little break. The memories that Graham and Devon will make are also important.”
Naomi said: “Going to America has always been something we’ve wanted to do as a family - especially now Devon is at an age to enjoy places such as Disney World.
“We don’t run the charity to benefit ourselves, but it’s lovely that people recognise the hard work that we do put in. The charity has totally become a way of life for us.”
Hannah has been aided on her fundraising mission by Wedding Wishing Well Foundation ambassador Alix Renshaw and photographer Rachel Sherlock.
Naomi added: “We were very surprised and humbled by the page and the effort that Hannah, Alix and others have put into sharing the page. And extremely thankful to those who have donated.”
To donate, visit: https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/making-memories-for-naomi