Homes planned for ‘worst possible spot’
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Land thought to be ‘safe from development’ could be earmarked for up to 55 new homes, sparking concerns over how Ottery will cope.
But Blue Cedar Homes - the company behind the bid to build at Slade Farm – says it is meeting a need to provide accommodation for East Devon’s growing elderly population.
The Herald revealed last week that the private retirement homes specialist had submitted a request to East Devon District Council (EDDC) for its proposals to be included as part of the local plan.
Blue Cedar’s planning manager, Bill Richardson, told the Herald numbers were not yet confirmed and that the company was in the process of meeting residents before issuing further details.
Speaking at a hearing on Wednesday about proposed changes to the East Devon Local Plan – a blueprint for development – Mr Richardson said: “A lot of our homes are built in smaller towns and villages. This allows older people to stay on there.”
You may also want to watch:
He said EDDC had not gone far enough in addressing the housing needs of elderly people.
Blue Cedar representatives also met with Ottery Town Council this week.
- 1 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 2 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 3 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 4 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 7 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
Speaking at a town council meeting on Monday, Councillor Roger Giles criticised the decision to meet with the developers and said he felt all communication should be held in public.
On the bid, he said: “My view is quite clear, that Ottery people said they wanted 300 houses.
“Within our community, the schools, the medical centre and the sewage works are all at capacity. How on earth is Ottery going to cope?”
He added that the additional homes would take Ottery’s total up to nearly 600 – double the 300 initially allocated for the town.
Mayor Glyn Dobson said: “We have sent a letter to the residents telling them all about it and we have had several responses to that. There is a lot of concern. We are taking people’s concerns on board for when an application is put in.”
Ruud Jansen Venneboer, of Mazzard Farm, said: “Surely Ottery must have gone far beyond its housing stock [allocation]?
“It could not be in a worse spot, with no access and in a place that I thought was more or less safe from any further development.
“It is not close to any access roads. Anyone getting there would have to go through the already congested Ottery roads.”