Horticultural show schedule to be revealed
- Credit: Archant
Keen bakers, growers and knitters will be able to find out what they need to do to triumph in this year’s Sid Valley Horticultural Society show from this weekend.
The schedule for the 88th annual gardening and craft show will be available at the society’s coffee morning on Saturday, March 12, in Sidford Social Hall.
The morning, which will run from 10am to noon, is also a fundraiser for the group ahead of August’s event.
The show received more than 1,000 entries last year in a variety of classes including flowers, vegetables, baking and tailor-made competitions, from young people to a men’s only class.
Chairman of the society, Maureen Britton, and show secretary Beryl Kingman said they are looking to bring on board new committee members in the run-up to the society’s 90th anniversary.
You may also want to watch:
Maureen said: “We were going to retire this year, but we did not want to lose the show.
“We are looking for some people to join our committee to do something. They can shadow us.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 3 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 4 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 7 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
“It’s worth doing - it gives the people more of a community spirit when they can do things together.”
The closing date for entries will be 5pm on Monday, August 1. The show will be held at Sidford Sports Field on Saturday, August 6, with admission from 2pm.