Hospital’s minor injuries unit ‘to stay open until March’
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s under-threat minor injuries unit (MIU) looks to have been given a seven-month reprieve.
The future of the service at Sidmouth Victoria Hospital has been in doubt since healthcare bosses at the NHS Northern, Eastern and Western Devon Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) launched a review into facilities across the region.
But CCG decision-makers this week announced that plans to find a new provider to run urgent care services – which include MIUs – have been scrapped.
The health authority now says it intends to let a contract with the service’s current operators, Northern Devon Healthcare Trust, run until March next year.
Graham Vincent, chairman of trustees for the Sidmouth Victoria Hospital Comforts Fund, said: “The decision by the CCG to terminate the procurement process is, of course, only a postponement of the final decision.
You may also want to watch:
“Until a new model of urgent care access for patients is decided nationally, which will be by March 31, 2016, our MIU will remain open.”
Mr Vincent, who was recently among Sidmouth representatives on a CCG panel tasked with exploring options for the future of health services, said he was ‘confident’ that he and the town’s other representatives ‘made a strong case to retain the MIU’ for the long-term.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 7 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 8 Ottery has gone 'above and beyond' during this difficult time
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
The CCG says it will now need to ‘consider the way forward’ for urgent care services.