Hotel company scoops green award
AN ECO-FRIENDLY company, which owns two Sidmouth hotels, has been named as one of the UK s Green Heroes after scooping a prestigious international award. Representatives of Brend Hotels, which owns The Victoria and The Belmont, were presented with a tr
AN ECO-FRIENDLY company, which owns two Sidmouth hotels, has been named as one of the UK's 'Green Heroes' after scooping a prestigious international award.
Representatives of Brend Hotels, which owns The Victoria and The Belmont, were presented with a trophy for environmental best practice last month at a glitzy ceremony on board the Royal Yacht Britannia in Edinburgh.
The Green Organisation's award was given to the group, which saved 750 tonnes of CO2 in a year, by top botanist, Professor David Bellamy, OBE, on February 13.
Team manager, Amanda Brend, said: "The ceremony was a very glamorous occasion. We were piped aboard and given the red carpet treatment, with a tour of the ship, including a glimpse into the Queen's bedroom.
You may also want to watch:
"It was an honour to receive the award from David Bellamy and to meet so many inspiring people, including some award-winners from Tobago. Gaining this recognition has increased our determination to further develop our environmental policy."
The accolade comes after Brend Hotels' environmental resource team won a Green Apple Award for developing a policy aimed at reducing energy consumption and promoting sustainability.
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 3 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
The judges said: "This family-run chain of luxury hotels appreciates that tourism is not always the best industry for the environment, so they continue to enhance their green credentials."
The winning submission from the Brend team will now be included in the Green Book, the only international work of reference on environmental best practice.